If you're reading this, you have been roped into my solo mad adventure after 18 years!
I've decided to revive the old blog for this trip. I'm heading off on a big three-week adventure, and this way everyone who's interested can follow along without me answering a dozen separate messages. Consider this the group chat with fewer typos.
Kuala Lumpur was just a stopover on the way to the main event, a tour through Rajasthan in India with Best Exotic Tours. I broke the journey for a few days to shake off the worst of the jet lag.
Foot massage and a good cause
On my wanders I noticed lots of blind massage businesses. They provide work for people with visual impairments, and after a wonderful foot massage my feet were ready for the next leg of the trip.
Eating like a local
I always seek out local places to eat. Lunch was served on a banana leaf, a delicious mix of Malaysian and Indian flavours, and everyone around me ate with their hands. Everyone except me! 😂
Dinner, for Frankie
I'm sending this one for Frankie, who loves fish will appreciate that a whole fish arrived at the table looking right back at me. That small little citrus fruit on the fish had so much juice I had to google it. I really want to plant one in my 'to be planted' citrus grove. It is a Calamansi (Citrus microcarpa) native to the Philippines and Southeast Asia.
Meet the locals
It was a sweltering 27 felt like 30 so of course I went for a wander- there are no real routes here so wandering often meant a footpath might just end at the edge of a busy road with no obvious way to cross.
At the botanical gardens I saw some large monitor lizards swimming in the lake- It looked like an alligator at first!
Service with a smile
One thing that really struck me is how many people work in service roles here. Even the smallest hotel has a doorman! Perhaps lower wages make that possible, but it also means more families and communities are supported, which is quite different from NZ.
Next stop: Delhi. Stay tuned.
Ka kite,
Marea x



No comments:
Post a Comment